Jasna Góra

Jasna Góra

SANCTUARY OF THE BLACK MADONNA
of Częstochowa

Queen of Poland

Jasna Góra (latin: Clarus Mons) – sanctuary and Pauline Monastery in Częstochowa, located on Jasna Góra.

The complex is one of the most important sites of the worship of Our Lady and has for centuries been the heart of pilgrimage in Poland. It is home to the Icon of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, as well as a collection of many other pieces of art, mostly sacral, presented as thanksgiving offerings by believers.

The Icon of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa

The Holy Icon of the Black Madonna is a particular focus of worship for Roman Catholics and Orthodox Christians and is considered miraculous.

Today, it is one of the most recognizable symbols of the Roman Catholic Church in Poland.

more

The Miracles of Our Lady of Częstochowa

There is a special book kept in a church in the monastery of Jasna Góra where many miracles which have occurred before the Miraculous Icon have been listed. Read about this special presence and the acts of Our Lady in the daily lives of ordinary people by clicking this link.

more

Daily schedule
at the Sanctuary

You are welcome to visit Jasna Góra from 5:00 am to 9:30 pm

Ceremonial Opening / Closing Hours of the Miraculous Icon of Our Lady of Częstochowa

The opening / closing hours of the Icon may be changed owing to pastoral circumstances.

Monday
- Friday:
06:00Opening
12:00Closing
13:30Opening
Saturday, Sunday and holidays:
06:00Opening
13:00Closing
14:00Opening

Holy Mass

15.30Mass for the Homeland
16.00Rosary (on Sundays and holidays at 4.15 pm)
16:45Holy Masses which may be celebrated
17:30Holy Masses which may be celebrated
18:00Novena (Saturdays)
18.30Mass for Pope Francis
21:00Jasna Góra Appeal


21:30 - 04:30an organized prayer vigil may be prepared
06:00 - 21:00Adoration of the Holy Sacrament in the Adoration Chapel (entry from Knight Hall (Sala Rycerska) or the sacristy)
06:15 - 19:30Confession in the Sacrament of Penance Chapel (on warm days in the Upper Room)

Holy Masses

Our Lady Chapel

Monday - Friday:
06:00, 07:00, 07:30, 08:00 (in Latin), 09:30, 11:00, 15:30 (for the Homeland), 18:30 (for the Pope)
Saturday:
06:00, 07:00, 07:30, 08:00 (in Latin), 09:30, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 15:30 (for the Homeland), 18:30 (for the Pope)
Sundays and holidays:
06:00, 07:00, 08:00 (in Latin), 09:30, 11:00, 12:00, 15:30 (for the Homeland), 17:00, 18:30 (for the Pope), 20:15

Basilica

Monday - Saturday:
05:30, 06:00, 06:30, 07:00, 07:30, 08:00, 09:00
Sundays and holidays:
05:30, 06:30, 08:00, 09:30, 11:00, 13:00, 17:00, 19:00

Daily schedule
at the Our Lady Chapel

05:30Hours
06:00Holy Mass – First Mass of the day
07:00
07:30
08:00

in Latin
09:30
11:00
12:00

Saturday, Sunday and holidays
An all-night vigil may be organized in the Our Lady Chapel from 9.30 pm to 4.30 am.

It may be following registration and once the consent of Father Guardian has been secured:

Guardian of Jasna Góra
ul. o. A. Kordeckiego 2
42-225 Częstochowa 25
tel.: +48 34 377 72 07
fax: +48 34 365 17 42

write to Guardian

Petition
for a prayer

Ask for a prayer:

Request for a prayer was sent.

Request a Mass:

You may request a mass personally in the sacristy from 6.00 am to 12.15 / 1.00 pm on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, on other days until 12.15 pm and from 3.30 pm to 7.30 pm only at designated points within the Sanctuary: in the Basilica porch and at the entrance gate.

More information::
The Office of Father Guardian
from 09:00 to 12:00 and from 15:30 to 17:00

tel: +48 34 377 72 07
e-mail: kustosz@jasnagora.pl

Beneath Thy Protection

We fly to thy protection, O holy Mother of God.
Despise not our petitions in our necessities,
but deliver us always from all dangers
O glorious and blessed Virgin. Amen.
The Church has always attributed particular efficacy to this prayer, entrusting to the Rosary … the most difficult problems.

John Paul II,
Rosarium Virginis Mariae

Live
from Jasna Góra

Click the icons below to watch a service from Our Lady of Częstochowa Chapel live or see other visual materials.Click the icons below to watch a service from Our Lady of Częstochowa Chapel live or see other visual materials.

Donations

For the Sanctuary

Klasztor OO. Paulinów
Jasna Góra
ul. o. A. Kordeckiego 2
42-225 Częstochowa, Poland

BNP Paribas Bank Polska S.A.
Division I Częstochowa
Ks. Popiełuszki St. 2
42-200 Częstochowa, Poland

SWIFT (BIC): PPAB PLPK

Wire transfer in Poland:
35 1600 1097 0002 3405 5050 0001

International wire transfer:
USD: PL77 1600 1097 0002 3405 5050 0021
EUR: PL50 1600 1097 0002 3405 5050 0022

Title:
Donation

For the Mass Intentions

Jasna Góra
websites

Recommended websites

Pilgrim's
map

50.8118,19.09646|50.81176,19.09609|50.81168,19.09531|50.81248,19.09568|50.81289,19.09562|50.81365,19.09556|50.81332,19.09679|50.81328,19.09761|50.81348,19.09844

Basilica

The Church of the Finding of the Holy Cross and the Nativity of the Virgin Mary was built at the beginning of the 15th century. Both the church and the Holy Virgin Mary Chapel (Our Lady Chapel), which had been founded earlier at the end of the 14th century by King Władysław Jagiełło and which now houses the Miraculous Icon, were joined with a cloister belonging to the original monastery complex. The cloister itself was joined with the church. Between the church and the Holy Virgin Mary Chapel there stood the original chapel of St. Saint Paul the Hermit, the patriarch of the Pauline Order, with a sacristy in its eastern part. The monks’ dormitory was located on the first floor of the monastery’s cloister.

The present-day basilica is a monumental work of Baroque art built in 1692-1695 and 1706-1728. The vaults of the nave, chancel and aisles are covered with Karol Dankwart’s frescoes from the late 17th century surrounded by a splendid stucco decoration. The theme of the chancel frescoes refers to the history of the Finding and the Triumph of the Holy Cross, while the frescoes in the nave and aisles present the glory of the Virgin Mary and Her chastity. The high altar depicts the scene of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary – the most central part represents the scene of the Assumption, with the Virgin Mary rising into heaven, and the top part – the Trinity awaiting her with the crown of glory. Above the high altar hangs a silver lamp founded by Queen Maria ‘Marysieńka’ Sobieska. There are three 17th century chapels adjoining the southern aisle: Saint Paul the Hermit’s (also called the Denhoff Chapel), and a two-level chapel: of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus (at the top), and of the Saint Relics (at the bottom). The basilica holds large and magnificent organs with 105 organ stops dating back to 1956.

The Holy Virgin Mary Chapel

History of this chapel dates back to the beginnings of the Middle Ages. Initially the Icon had been placed in a small wooden church given to the Pauline Order by Prince Władysław Opolczyk in 1382. In 1642-1644, the gothic chapel was extended by a Baroque edifice with a nave and two aisles, typical for Polish architecture from the turn of the Mannerism and Baroque and often described as Lublin style. Today it is being classified as one of the most outstanding achievements of the Polish architecture of the Counter-Reformation period. Of all five altars located in this section of the chapel, the one deserving foremost attention is the altar of the Crucifixion of Jesus with a precious 15thcentury crucifix made in the school of Veit Stoss. The walls of this part of the chapel are covered with numerous votives expressing gratitude for miracles and acts of grace received through Our Lady. A gothic chapel, built during the reign of King Władysław Jagiełło and now serving the function of a chancel, is separated from the rest of the church by a grating made in Gdańsk in 1644. In the chancel, there is an ebony Baroque altar founded by Jerzy Ossoliński, the Great Chancellor of the Crown. The silver curtain that covers the Miraculous Icon was made in 1673. The third part of the chapel was completed in 1929 on the location of an 18th century vestibule. The pillars and walls of this building are covered with gorgets and votives, mainly from the Polish soldiers serving on the front lines all over the world, as well as from the martyrs who died fighting for free Poland during Communist period. The niche in the southern wall holds a funeral urn with the ashes of Father Augustyn Kordecki, the heroic defender of Jasna Góra. The Holy Virgin Mary Chapel is the heart of Jasna Góra, a special place of the Eucharist, prayer, sacrament of reconciliation, spiritual experience and conversion.

Knight Hall

Built on an elongated rectangular plan and covered with a Baroque vault with lunettes, this hall was initially designed as a representative salon and a debate room for the convent where its assemblies, chapters and ceremonies with notable guests including rulers and various church and secular dignitaries were held.
At that time it was referred to as the Room of Theological Disputes. Today the Knight Hall serves the pilgrims and is a place where various meetings and music concerts are organized. For more information visit the website of the Jasna Góra National Treasury: www.skarbyjasnejgory.pl

Arsenal

Located in the very centre of Jasna Góra, the Arsenal building distinguishes itself with the ornamentation above the doors leading to the main hall. This stucco ornamentation represents an enormous White Eagle sitting on one of the three large cannonballs, next to the cannons and military insignia. The explanation for the presence of the Arsenal and the military symbols lies in the history of Jasna Góra. The Pauline monastery has always been exposed to danger. One of the most important events in the history of the Miraculous Icon of Our Lady was the attack of the monastery by the Hussites and the desecration of the image in 1430.
The Arsenal was built in the second half of 17th century. On its lower floor, there is a well preserved vaulted hall. The façade is decorated with symbols of independent Poland, as well as pieces of weaponry. The original decoration was destroyed during the partition of Poland, when the monastery was held by the Russian army, and was reconstructed at the beginning of 20th century.

Tower

The Jasna Góra architectural complex is dominated by a tall (106 m 30 cm high) and slender tower, which used to be the tallest in Poland until a 141 m tower of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Licheń was built. The bottom part of the present day tower, already the fifth in the history of the sanctuary, dates back to 1714, while its top was added at the beginning of the 20th century.

The clock above the tower’s first floor is equipped with the so-called “Carillon”, or chime with 36 bells playing out Marian music every 15 minutes, or Christmas carols and Easter songs during other periods of the liturgical year. There are four statues in the corners of the middle floor, including the one of Saint Paul the Hermit, Saint Florian, Saint Casimir and Saint Jadwiga, Queen of Poland.

The highest fifth floor, with 516 steps leading to it, is decorated with the statues of the doctors of the church including Saint Leo the Great, Saint Gregory of Nazianzus, Saint Augustine and Saint Ambrose. The spire of the tower is topped with a crow with a leaf of bread in its beak, as well as a metal flag with a monogram of the name of the Virgin Mary. At the very top there is a crucifix whose lamps, which are lit at night, symbolize the light and might of this holy place.

The tower was completely restored in 2000.

Museum of the 600th Anniversary

Its permanent gallery displays artifacts created by the Paulines of Jasna Góra in the 17th and 18th century. The central display case contains three out of eight dresses decorating the Miraculous Icon of Our Lady. Funding documents of the monastery executed by Prince Władysław Opolczyk in 1382 and King Władysław Jagiełło in 1393, deserve special attention.

Votive offerings presented by the inmates from concentration camps in Dachau and Auschwitz are of unique value. The museum also holds a vast collection of musical instruments of Jasna Góra Ensemble established in the 17th century.

For more information visit the website of the Jasna Góra National Treasury - www.skarbyjasnejgory.pl

Square under top

The Square Under the Top (Plac przed Szczytem) serves as a venue for many important celebrations, gatherings, and meetings with Pilgrims. A statute of the Virgin Mary is located there.

The square hosts such important celebrations as the White Flower Homage, Acts of Entrustment of Church, the Pope and Poland to the Mother of God, or important Holy Masses.

St. Roch’s Bastion

St. Roch’s Bastion constitutes an integral part of Jasna Góra fortress. It was erected in years 1624-1639 and extended between 1678 and 1681. It was then when the original, smaller bastion was enclosed with a slightly larger one. The rest of the space was filled in with debris and soil.

Since 1991 St. Roch’s Bastion has been under restoration. The works have resulted in the removal of upper layers and the discovery of original walls which witnessed a famous Swedish siege during the Deluge in November and December of 1655. At present a central part of the Bastion is opened to the public, being one of the planned parts of the permanent arrangement of the new Treasury.

Way of the Cross

The Way of the Cross, located in the monastery park which is walled-in from three sides by the Sanctuary (former moats of the fortress), was designed by Stefan Szyller and built in years 1900-1913. 14 figures casted in bronze were created by sculptor Pius Weloński.

Participating in the Way of the Cross service is a traditional element of Jasna Góra pilgrimages.

Treasury

In the years 1649-53 a special room over the sacristy was erected whose function was to serve as a treasury. Its current interior decor was designed by Adolf Szyszko-Bohusz at the beginning of the 20th century. The treasury is a home for a collection of votive offerings of various nature and significance, some of which are of great artistic value e.g. monstrances, chalices or jewelry, whereas the others carry memories and emotions – parts of human life, suffering, joy and received graces.

Jasna Góra Golgotha

The work of art presented by its author Jerzy Duda Gracz and consisting of 18 pictures that form the Jasna Góra Golgotha was placed in an enclosed space – the upper level of the entry to the Our Lady Chapel, the so-called extension, which was redesigned in 1929-1933.

In his Jasna Góra Golgotha Duda Gracz remained faithful to the ideals of romantically perceived realism which he understood in a unique way as full of elements of grotesque, larger-than-life in its character and at times oscillating towards caricature. The artist places suffering Christ, who has no allure left and is both humiliated and victorious at the same time, but whom we may approach with our suffering without any fear of rejection, against a background of contemporary and historical characters.

National Memorial Chapel

The National Memorial Chapel is located in the 17th century bell tower situated between the south wall of the Basilica and the north wing of the communion cloisters. At present it houses a mausoleum with national treasures and mementoes: funeral urns with ashes of the dead and those who died for their country. There are also national memorial plaques as well as urns with the soil stained with the blood of the workers from Poznań, Radom, Gdańsk and Silesia, and the urn with the soil stained with the blood of the blessed Father Jerzy Popiełuszko. The mausoleum was blessed on the 3rd of May,1989.

Claromontana Restaurant

Klasztor OO. Paulinów Jasna Góra
Restauracja Claromontana

ul. Ks. kard. St. Wyszyńskiego 1/31
42-225 Częstochowa

tel.: +48 34 377 72 88
fax: +48 34 377 73 61
mail: herbaciarnia@jasnagora.pl

Claromontana Tea House

Klasztor OO. Paulinów Jasna Góra
Herbarciarnia Claromontana

ul. Klasztorna 1
42-225 Częstochowa

tel.: +48 34 377 74 07
fax: +48 34 377 73 85

Pilgrim’s Home

Klasztor OO. Paulinów Jasna Góra
Dom Pielgrzyma

ul. Kardynała St. Wyszyńskiego 1/31
42-225 Częstochowa

tel.: +48 34 377 77 21
fax: +48 34 365 18 70
mail: dp@jasnagora.pl

ACCOMODATION PRICE LIST 2013

Check-in from 3 pm, check-out by 9.00 am

Single room with a bathroom PLN 90
Double room with a bathroom PLN 140
Triple room with a bathroom PLN 150
4 person room with a bathroom PLN 180
6 person room with a bathroom PLN 210
4 person room with a shower PLN 140

Bed in a 4 person room with a washbasin PLN 28
Bed in a 4 person room without a washbasin PLN 23

Parking lots

Jasna Góra Monastery offers parking spaces for cars and coaches in parking lots near Jasna Góra free of charge.

Modern parking lots have been built for pilgrims near the Pilgrim’s Home:
- Parking no. 1 – Entry from ks. kard. Stefan Wyszyński street
- Parking no. 2 – entry from Klasztorna street
- Parking no. 3 – Entry from 7 Kamienic street.

Our parking lots are free of charge. You are welcome to make a donation for the restoration of Jasna Góra.

First-Aid Station

Klasztor OO. Paulinów Jasna Góra
Punkt Medyczny

ul. O. A. Kordeckiego 2
42-225 Częstochowa

tel.: +48 34 377 72 45
fax: +48 34 377 72 00
m: klasztor@jasnagora.pl

St. Joseph’s accomodation halls

St. Joseph’s Accommodation Halls is a basic accommodation facility that offers around 700 places to sleep. Open May-October.

Address

Klasztor OO. Paulinów
Jasna Góra
ul. o. A. Kordeckiego 2
42-225 Częstochowa, Poland

Centrala (gate):
tel: +48 34 377 77 77
+48 34 368 05 75
fax: +48 34 377 72 00
e-mail: furta@jasnagora.pl
complete data

Contact form

Thank you for a message!